For the decisions that matter, the assessment you choose matters
For more than 30 years the TOEIC® test has been the global standard for measuring workplace English-language communication skills. The TOEIC assessment family, including the TOEIC® Listening and Reading test, the TOEIC® Speaking and Writing tests and the TOEIC Bridge™ test are used by nearly 14,000 businesses, organisations, and government agencies in 150 countries around the world.
The TOEIC tests measure all four English language skills:
- The TOEIC Listening and Reading tests:
Measures proficiency in English reading and listening skills, from beginner to advanced level (A1-C1). A paper-based, multiple-choice test.
- The TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests:
Measure proficiency in English speaking and writing skills, from beginner to advanced level (A1-C1). Speaking and the Writing tests are online.
- The TOEIC Bridge test:
Measures proficiency in English reading and listening skills, from beginner to intermediate level (A1-B1). A paper-based, multiple-choice test.
The test measures not how much English test takers know, but whether they can effectively communicate in English.
Fair, Valid and Reliable Measure of International Communication
The TOEIC tests are a fair, valid and reliable measure of English language skills used in the workplace. Standardised testing conditions and the design of each test ensures that all test takers are given a fair chance to demonstrate their English skills proficiency. The TOEIC test questions simulate real-life situations that are relevant to daily life and the global workplace, and that can be compared across countries and forms.
The TOEIC Preparation Materials and the TOEIC Sample Tests provide test takers with a complete source of information from TOEIC sample questions, TOEIC Speaking practice and TOEIC writing practice to help them familiarise and better prepare for the day of the test. The TOEIC Score Reports and TOEIC certificates provide essential information for both score users and test takers. These reports come along with a CEFR level and a description of the English-language strengths typical of test-takers performing at various score levels.
Recognised and respected worldwide, the TOEIC® Tests:
- Help businesses build a more internationally effective workforce
- Give job seekers and employees a competitive advantage
- Enable universities to better prepare students for the international workplace
- Provide accreditation for visa and naturalisation progression
Internationally distinguished team of Researchers
The TOEIC tests are backed by extensive ETS research in assessment development and English language learning. ETS’s ongoing research helps ensure that the TOEIC tests are accurate and relevant to today’s changing global workplace, which helps internationally competitive companies hire, place and promote the right candidates.
Qualities that make the TOEIC tests the global standard for assessing English language proficiency in all four skills: listening, reading, speaking and writing. The TOEIC tests accurately measure English proficiency at all levels from Beginner levels, Intermediate levels, to Advanced levels.
The TOEIC Listening and Reading Test, the world’s most popular English assessment for the workplace
With more than 7 million test takers, the TOEIC® Listening and Reading test has become a standard by decision makers worldwide, who use the TOEIC tests to determine who can communicate effectively on an independent and proficient level in English across borders and cultures with coworkers and clients.
Why choose the TOEIC® Listening and Reading test?
All TOEIC® tests are specifically created to assess the ability to use English in real-life work situations. In addition, the test design ensures that scores can be accurately compared between candidates around the globe.This has helped make the TOEIC Listening and Reading test the most popular assessment of workplace English in the world.
- The test delivers exceptionally reliable and accurate scores you can trust.
- Questions are based on real-world workplace scenarios.
- Paper-and-pencil or online formats make it easy to administer anywhere at any time.
What can you learn from the test?
TOEIC® Listening and Reading scores provide meaningful feedback about a test taker’s strengths and weaknesses, along with a description of the skills typical of test takers at various levels. The skills measured by the test include an individual’s ability to:
• Understand explanations and instructions
• Understand workplace conversations
• Follow public talks and announcements
• Connect information in different real-world texts
Designed to Help you Build the Best Workforce
Test results enable you to:
• Compare English skills of individuals from various backgrounds
• Make high-stakes recruitment and promotion decisions with confidence
• Train individuals to communicate internationally for global expansion
• Develop a talent pool of English-proficient employees
TOEIC Listening and Reading Test Content
The TOEIC Listening and Reading test is a paper-and-pencil, multiple-choice assessment. There are two timed sections of 100 questions each. Test takers listen and read in English and give their responses to the questions. The test does not require specialised knowledge or vocabulary beyond that of a person who uses English in everyday life and work activity.
|Duration||Section I: Questionnaire|
|30 minutes||Answer Biographical questions|
|Duration||Section II: Listening Comprehension|
The Listening section tests how well test takers understand spoken English. It consists of four parts and contains 100 questions
There are four parts:
|Duration||Section III: Reading Comprehension|
The Reading section tests how well test takers understand written English.
There are three parts:
|Total time: 2.5 hours|
The test content uses common everyday vocabulary, phrases and key expressions that reflects everyday tasks and provides information that enables decision makers or score users to fairly and easily:
- Help businesses train, develop and promote the most qualified employees who can interact effectively with colleagues and clients around the world
- Save time and resources by knowing immediately in the recruitment process who has the skills to communicate effectively in the international workplace
- Help language schools give added value to their training and development programmes
- Give job seekers and employees a competitive advantage
- Enable universities to better prepare students for today’s international workplace
- Help individuals enhance their value and succeed in the global job market
In addition, Governments use the TOEIC Listening and Reading test and the TOEIC Speaking and Writing tests as a valid accreditation to help them make vital decisions for immigration and naturalisation purposes.
More detailed information on test content and sample questions can be found in the Examinee Handbook.